Recent Pattern of Bacterial Isolates and their Antimicrobial Sensitivity in Neonatal Sepsis.
Author(s) : Sadia Shabir, Suneela Shaukat, Rabeya Hashim, Mohammad Arshad, Asima Khanum & Hassan Wajahat
The objective of this study is to determine the frequency of most common bacteria from bacterial isolates and their antimicrobial sensitivity pattern in neonatal sepsis.
Material and Methods:
A total of 200 neonates of both genders aged under 28 days of life who presented with neonatal sepsis were included in the study. Blood culture and sensitivity reported were obtained, and frequency of common bacterial isolates and their antibiotic sensitivity pattern were recorded.
The age of the patients ranged from 2 days to 27 days with a mean of 8.25±5.99 days. Majority (n=172, 86.0%) of the patients were aged under 2 weeks. The weight of the patients ranged from 1.6 Kg to 4.0 Kg with a mean of 2.53±0.56 Kg. Body weight was between 1.6-2.8 Kg in 150 (75.0%) patients while the remaining 50 (25.0%) patients had body weight in the range of 2.9-4.0 Kg. There were 124 (62.0%) male and 76 (38.0%) female patients (with male to female ratio of 1.6:1). E. Coli was the most frequent bacteria found in 78 (39.0%) cases while Ciprofloxacin (49.0%) and Meropenem (43.0%) were least resistant antibiotics.
E coli were the most frequent bacteria followed by S. aureus, Klebsiella spp., Pseudomonas spp. and S. epidermidis in patients with neonatal sepsis. Ampicillin was found to be the most frequent resistant antibiotic and meropenem was least resistant drug.
Key Words: Neonatal Sepsis, Bacterial Isolate, Antibiotic Sensitivity Pattern